A Change of Venue

All dressed and ready to go kayaking, my cell phone rang.  It was my son calling me back, responding to a message I'd left him earlier that morning.  "What's up, Mom?"

"I was wondering what time you'd be home from work today and what time you'll be picking up Mia from daycare.  I thought I'd come over for a visit."  Although I know some of you think that 1 1/2 hr drive is a haul, to me it is insignificant when I know what's waiting at the other end.  Do you know what I mean?

"Today's my early day and I'd like that.  We can hang out together and maybe you could show me some more gardening tips."

"See you soon," was my response as I put my kayaking bag away.  A change of venue for the day...a son and grand daughter over the lime green kayak...another easy decision.  After all, now that Fall is rapidly approaching, there will be lots of time for my adventures!  Throwing my clippers, my foam kneel-er and my gardening tote in the car, I hit the ignition switch.

Opening the car door to get out, I heard, "Mom, come quick" with a real sense of urgency.  Trotting through the garage and the pass door to their back yard, there he stood hovering over something with the lawn mower on his right.  Look what he found!!!  He put his flip flop in for size reference for me as I went to take the picture with my phone.   Carefully picking the praying mantis up and moving him so he could continue cutting the lawn, he told me to have a seat and chill.  

Then we worked our butts off!  Five wheel barrow loads later, a yanked out dead Rhododendron and a small dead pine tree removed, we cleaned up and went to get Mia.

She was so happy to see me when she got to the car saying, "Nana, are you coming over to my house for a couple whiles?"

A couple whiles?

A resounding yes came from my mouth followed by "after we go somewhere first."
We were going to stop and feed the bulls!

Not far from their house and her daycare, there's a farmer who raises steer for rodeos.  Several times a week, he gets bread from the local stores and bakers which he then leaves out for people to use to feed the animals.  In with the steer, he has a few goats and a llama.

After filling their bellies with hotdog and hamburger rolls, whole wheat, whole grain, Italian, Pita and Boboli, we headed back to the house where we played outside.

By the time I got home, it was dark.
It had been a full day.
I was pooped.
I was happy.

Sharing with:



TexWisGirl said…
i bet you were in heaven. :)
Texan said…
Sounds like a busy fun day. An hour and half isnt a haul here LOL ... we joke its an hour to anywhere here LOL and further to somewhere LOL
Ann said…
A couple of whiles, that is so darn cute.
Betty said…
Sounds like a great day, but 1 1/2 hours each way is quite a trip! I bet you were tired.
mshatch said…
cool praying mantis! Sounds like a great day :)
Thankfully, there was no cat-sitting involved this trip, JP...but gardening is still work!
Chatty Crone said…
I love that - a couple of whiles - she knows what you meant.
whew! even if that wasn't a religious praying mantis, i bet he prayed after that save!
Nancy C said…
What a great day, JP -- and I saw my only praying mantis of the summer last week, but didn't take a photo. They are so cool to watch. :)
Bee Lady said…
Family over 'stuff' any time! Looks like you had a great day. I bet you slept good that night. I'm getting caught up on blogs, can you tell?

Cindy Bee
oh how fun! Thank you for sharing your lovely blog at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. xo

Popular Posts